Category 1 is important because it organizes your revenue and your enrollment. In the same way you organize your important documents into folders, Jackrabbit organizes your revenue and enrollment into Category 1s.
One of the main ways Jackrabbit does this is by assigning a Category 1 to each class. The Category 1s you assign to each class will help you in organizing tuition and enrollment.
For example, if you assign all your Ballet classes a Category 1 of After School, you'll be able to run reports telling you how much After School tuition you received during a range of dates. You'll also be able to run reports that tell you how many enrollments you have in the After School category.
You can also create Category 1s that aren't related to a specific class too (an example might be a registration fee or a late fee), so you can create reports on those fees as well.
To create Category 1 drop-down values:
- Point to Tools in the menu bar and click Edit Settings. From the choices on the left, click Drop-down Lists.
- From the left menu, click Category 1.
- Review the Category 1 values that were pre-created for you and decide if you'd like to delete any.
- If you'd like to add more Category 1 values, click the Add Row button. Enter a name for the new category.
- Optionally, check the Hide from customers box to prevent the Category 1 value from appearing to the parent when registering via your website or Parent Portal. This is useful for any value created for internal use only or for categories that are no longer in use and you don't want them visible to your parents. This setting can be changed in the future and does not have to be used when you are getting started.
Note: Hiding the CAT1 value from customers does NOT hide classes with that CAT1 value assigned to them, it only prevents your customers from being able to filter using that CAT1 value. For instructions on hiding classes online see our FAQ article How do I hide certain classes on my website, web registration form, and the parent portal?.
- The Hide from users box, when checked, will prevent the value from appearing in drop-down lists in your database and online. This can reduce clutter for your staff in the future in cases where the Category 1 value may no longer be being used. When Hide from users is selected, the Hide from customers checkbox is automatically selected.
- Click Save Changes.
Category 1 Tips
- Create a Category 1 for every revenue group (Income received) you would like to track.
- Color coding your Category 1 fields is a useful when viewing Jackrabbit's schedules and calendars. It's a great visual way of defining classes. Light colors display with black text and darker colors will display with white text. You can add colors now or return to add them later. To add a color to a Category 1 field, click the crayon icon. Remember to Save Changes.
Category 2 & 3
Category 2 and Category 3 fields are used to group classes together and can be useful when creating enrollment reports. Category drop-down values can be thought of as levels, with Category 1 being the top. Category 2 and 3 are the 'adjectives' where Category 1 is the 'noun'.
For example, a school may have a Category 1 value of "Ballet" and want to provide further breakdown between ages of After School such as "Elementary" and "Middle School"; they could use Category 2 for this purpose.
Check Hide from users to hide a value from drop-down lists within Jackrabbit. Check Hide from customers to hide a value from drop-down lists within Online Web Registration and the Parent Portal.